I’ve got some big news for you today.
I’m really excited to announce that I have joined my good friend, Stan Smith, as co-host on the Pushing Social Podcast!
In addition to being a good friend and colleague, Stan is the founder and managing director of Pushing Social, a content marketing and social media consultancy. Not to mention, his blog has been named one of the Top 10 Social Media blogs two years in a row!
Stan’s content is top notch. That’s why I’m thrilled to join him on the Pushing Social Podcast.
Rifles or Shotguns: Which Social Media Strategy
We just published our first episode together and
I don’t want you to miss it!
In it, we discuss Jay Baer’s recent presentation and blog post — “Why it Might be Time to Completely Change Your Social Media Strategy”.
In this post, Jay recommends that companies should adopt a shotgun approach to social media with more content in more places to reach your intended audience.
Stan and I had a great conversation about whether companies should now employ this concept. Here are just a few things we discussed:
- Do shotguns really trump rifles when it comes to social media? In other words, does broader distribution on social media beat laser targeting? Which is the best way to get in front of your audience?
- Social media strategy matters more now than ever. Companies can no longer wing it on social media. We discuss why this is the case and the skills you need to be successful on social media.
- Is organic social media dead? Organic reach on social media continues to decline. Does that mean social media requires an advertising budget? Should you even bother participating in social media if you’re not willing to pay to play? Or, is social media still more cost effective and effective than other media channel?
- Repurposing content and why it matters. Social media success requires the ability to re-tool your content and ideas multiple ways. We talk about why this is so important.
If you read our Liftoff eLetter, you know how I’m a big fan of offering quick tips that you can implement right away.
Stan and I have also added Quick Tips segment on this in the Podcast. We each offer up two things that will help you with your social media marketing efforts.
Here’s what we talked about this week:
- Laura’s Tip: Discover where your audience hangs out online using tools like Survey Monkey and MailChimp.
- Stan’s Tip: Use HelloBar to drive email sign-ups.
Pushing Social Shout Out
We also LOVE shining a light on people who are doing great work in the world content marketing and social media that you might not already know about.
Here are our shout outs for this week:
- Laura’s shout out — Sarah Mason (@sarahsmason) at Uncommonly Social.
- Stan’s shout out — James Hahn II (@JamesHahnII) at Tribe Rocket.
Listen to see why we recommended them.
Listen to the Pushing Social Podcast
Ready to give it a listen? Here you go!
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/171037126″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Also, I encourage you to subscribe to the Podcast so you’ll never miss another fun and informative show like this one.
Here’s where you can find us:
I’d love to know what you think of the show! Leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher and share your thoughts on the show. We would love your feedback and your questions! We might even answer your question on a future show.
Thanks for listening!