Every Business Needs a Marketing Flight Plan
When it comes to marketing, many companies focus purely on the tactics – building a new website, engaging in social media or deploying an e-letter.
Although the tactics are important, the foundational work of building a marketing strategy must come first. The strategy will help you decide which of those tactics work best to achieve your business goals. It will give you direction and help you stay focused amongst all of the tempting marketing options available to you.
That’s why most of our clients start with the marketing strategy process. Through this process, we take the time to understand your target market, the competitive landscape and how you are uniquely positioned to solve your customer’s problems. Essentially, the marketing strategy is building a flight plan for how we are going to achieve your business goals.
Marketing Strategy Process
Step 1: Discover
Objective: Clarify Brand Message
Every company has its own recipe for special sauce. It’s our job to uncover the ingredients so we can determine what makes your company unique and why people should buy from you. We’ll use that information to develop your brand message, which will be incorporated throughout all of your marketing efforts.
This step of the process includes:
- Brand workshop. We’ll lead a brand workshop with you and key members of your team. During this meeting, we’ll learn more about your company’s vision and goals (where you want to go) and core values (what you stand for as a company).
- Marketing audit. We’ll review your existing marketing efforts so we can determine what’s working for you and where there are opportunities for improvement or growth.
- Customer research. We will conduct customer research (either through online surveys or individual interviews) to determine what your clients value about your business. Oftentimes, it might not be what you think! We’ll also get feedback on potential problems and areas for growth and improvement.
Objective: Understand the market
For marketing efforts to be successful, it’s important to understand what’s happening in the world around you. That’s why our process includes industry research and a competitive analysis so we can identify opportunities to differentiate your company in the marketplace.
Step 2: Design
Objective: Determine the most effective approach
- Strategy & Recommendations – Following our research, we’ll develop a detailed marketing strategy and implementation plan that outlines our recommended tactics to help you reach your goals. In addition to specific tactics, we will build an ideal client profile and develop brand messaging and key points of differentiation to help guide the implementation of your efforts.
- Budget – As part of our recommendations, we’ll include a budget for outsourcing any of the implementation to our team should that be needed. We’ll also provide pricing for any tools or resources required to get the job done.
Step 3: Deploy
Objective: Make execution easy
Although some clients choose to implement the marketing strategy entirely on their own, it works best when we partner with companies to get the job done. We can be your outsourced marketing department – where we do all the heavy lifting so you don’t have to. Or, we can simply be your training wheels – giving you support and guidance along the way.
Either way, our job is to make sure the strategy doesn’t just sit in a drawer, but gets used to propel your business to new heights.
Objective: Identify success, determine areas for improvement
Marketing success shouldn’t be determined by gut instinct alone. It should come from analyzing data. That’s why, at the beginning of our engagement, we determine key, measurable goals that can be used to evaluate the success of our marketing efforts. We’ll build a measurement dashboard so you and your team can easily see what’s working and what’s not.
As we work with you to implement the marketing plan, we will rely on these key performance indicators to guide our efforts and help us determine areas we might need to change or tweak to get your business flying high.
Ready to get started with strategy? Contact us to start the conversation.